Sunday, January 27, 2008

Catchup


I have been terribly remiss in my posting here. I'll be better!

Our house (mine and my husband's) is now home to two lovely girls, Harriet and Bianca. They're rescued sisters, about a year and a half old. They're just delightful! Besides Harriet being a bit hasty with her very, very sharp teeth, they are calm and gentle and snugly, and wonderful examples of hedgehogs to introduce to the world at large.

Nothing dramatic is going on with them right now, which is wonderful. I'm still trying to get them to sleep and poop where it is most convenient for me, but that is probably going to be a battle for a long while. They are their own creatures. Bianca could also stand to lose some weight, but that is difficult, since when I feed them less, Harriet is the one to become thinner. That is the trouble with having two pets in the same space, I suppose!

They are teaching me, as have all my hedgehogs. These girls have taught me about what it means to be a sister. Sister in this instance is used loosely. They are the first hedgies I've had who are used to having other hedgies around them. This changes the dynamic between the hedgies and me, as well. I can sometimes sneak my hand in beside them when they are sneaking, and they'll let me snuggle it beside them, even rolling on their side to be more comfortable. Even though I'm big, I'm "sister" to them, and sister means safe. They love to hide underneath me when they're out of their cage and I'm on the floor, and they adore my hair (especially messing it up). They interact with me in a way I really enjoy. I definitely look forward to learning more for them in our time together.

There you go! You are caught up! On the good stuff, at least. :)

Cheers!
~Kristen

No comments: